Friday, July 1, 2011

Getting Things Done!

Well, another month has come and gone so fast I feel as though I might have whip lash. In just a little over a week, we will be at the two month mark. I can’t believe it. Things are coming together though. My invites have been made and ordered by the lovely and talented Christy Beckwith, the flowers have been ordered, the girls have their dresses and the boys have their tuxes, linens are ordered, center pieces have been started, vows are being written and the shower is in two weeks.

I can’t believe how well it is all coming together. I know there is probably going to be A LOT of scrambling in the near future. We still have to send out the invitations, finish the centerpieces and work on the favors. Lights and tulle still need to be procured, I sill need a CD player with a mic and I have no idea what I am doing yet about these atrocious tan lines.

However my “done” list is much longer than my “to-do” and for that I am grateful.
I think the hardest thing for me in this whole process is the fact that I can’t drive; that running around doing wedding tasks involves a week of planning and volunteers willing to give both their gas and their time to the cause. Thankfully, I have THE BEST friends and family a girl could ask for. They keep there eyes open for deals, drive me to appointments and pick things up for me.

For my part, I have been trying to do as much as I can online as far as purchases go. Most people might be nervous by this, but I have been online shopping for years and have become quite good at it. I buy most of Tom’s gift online for obvious reasons, so I feel really comfortable with this. One of my favorite sites for the wedding has been Etsy.

I have had the cake topper hang over my head for months now. It was one of those things that I didn’t want to be generic and boring. Tom and I are not romantic. We just aren’t. We don’t kiss if we are caught in the rain, we sling mud. That’s just who we are. So I didn’t want your typical cake topper were the bride is smiling up into the face of an adoring groom, even the ones meant to be funny seemed to cheesy. I wanted something different. Originally, Tom and I were going to go up to Frankenmuth, but with the price of gas it was decided that we would have to find one closer to home.
After getting Tom’s approval to look on my own (he was doing a great job pretending to care about which cake topper we chose) I decided to check Etsy. They had everything. Many shops even made custom brides and grooms to look like you. But those were expensive and had many time constraints. And then I found a shop with some of the cutest toppers I had ever seen.

The Quirky Corn Crib makes cake toppers that are the perfect mix of nature and nerd because they use nature inspired elements and scrabble pieces to make adorable custom cake toppers.

Behold: 





Is that not the cutest thing you have ever seen?

The shop owner at The Quirky Corn Crib was amazing. I contacted her on the 21st and we chatted for a bit about what I wanted. Within a day my order was ready for purchase. I receive my cake topper on the 27th and it was exactly what I had been shown online only better. I was very excited to check "cake topper" off my list.

I just hope the rest of the “to-do” list comes together as easy as that. 

1 comment: